NOTE: The information below refers to the 2016 Victoria Highland Games & Celtic Festival. Once we have information about 2017, we will post it here. Thank you for your understanding
It takes a large team of enthusiastic volunteers to put on the Victoria Highland Games and Celtic Festival and we need… YOU!
Volunteering for the Games is a great way to experience Scottish and Celtic culture, music, arts and athletics and many volunteers look forward to doing it year after year.
Volunteering at the Games comes with some great perks!
- Free admission on the day(s) you volunteer
- Free lunch and/or snack
- Free, and highly desirable (!) volunteer T-shirt
- Opportunity to meet new people
- Play a vital role in supporting an amazing event that has been taking place for over 150 years!
A statement of volunteering hours is available upon request, once the Games are over.
“Research has shown that people who volunteer often live longer.”
What volunteering roles are available?
We’re in the process of revising the volunteer roles and schedules for 2016 so stay tuned for more details! On the registration form, you’ll find some questions about your preferences which will help us determine your “best-match” role.
“One of the things I keep learning is that the secret of being happy is doing things for other people. ”
As a volunteer, what do I need to know?
You’ll receive detailed information about the Games at an orientation session, but in the meantime…
- The Victoria Highland Games and Celtic Festival take place from Saturday, May 21st through Monday, May 23rd, 2016 at Topaz Park (Blanshard between Topaz and Finlayson).
- There will be a 1-hour orientation session for all volunteers 1-2 weeks prior to the Games.
- Volunteering opportunities are available on Friday evening, Saturday (multiple shifts morning through evening), Sunday (multiple shifts morning through evening) and Monday (multiple shifts mid-morning to afternoon).
- Volunteers need to be physically healthy and mobile, able to communicate in English at an intermediate or higher level, and be at least 15 years of age. Younger volunteers will be considered on a case by case basis; it will be an advantage for younger volunteers to be paired with a parent or familiar adult.
- You’ll need to agree to the Volunteer Code of Conduct
“There are many wonderful things that will never be done if you don’t do them.”
What are the steps to Volunteering?
To become a volunteer, please
- Read the general information on this page.
- Complete our Online Registration For (After the 2016 Games are complete, we’ll make the volunteer application form available for the 2017 Games). We’ll be in touch in the Spring of 2016 to confirm your availability and preferences.
- Attend the orientation session, usually 1-2 weeks before the Games.
- Volunteer during the Games.
- Attend the Volunteer Appreciation get-together (optional)!
“Volunteering is the ultimate exercise in democracy. You vote in elections once a year, but when you volunteer, you vote every day about the kind of community you want to live in.”
What if you have more questions?
Send your questions to Jillian and Kristina, Volunteer Chairs for the Victoria Highland Games Association, and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can. (We’re volunteers too, though, so please don’t fret if you don’t get an immediate reply!)